About The Department
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering of LOYOLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY was established in 2005.In the line of DMI tradition of teaching excellence, the Department of EEE functions with well qualified faculty and 60 UG students. The Department offers one M.E programme on Power Electronics and Drives from academic year 2011-2012. With Anna University’s curriculum, the Department places equal emphasis on theory and practical aspects of electrical and electronics engineering meeting global trends. Students are encouraged to work on their research ideas with able guidance from experienced professors. The department as produced Anna University rank holders both in UG and PG courses. The EEE Department has been organizing many symposiums, guest lecturers and other activities for ensuring quality improvement. The Department is well equipped with quality lab facilities for faculty and student to pursue with their R&D activities.
The department at present is offering the following courses:
- B.E. in Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering with an intake of 60 students.
- M.E. in Power Electronics and drives with an intake of 24 students.
To model Electrical Engineers with proficiency in Education, Research and development, be globally competent and thereby contribute value to Society
We at the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering,
- Provide state of art resource to achieve excellence in teaching, learning, research and development activities.
- Equip the student with advanced knowledge in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering as well as professional skills necessary to face the challenges of the future.
- Engineer them to engage in research activities leading to innovate applications of technology, and encourage entrepreneurship.
- Enable them to become responsible citizens of the country with a willingness to serve the society.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO 1: To prepare students for higher education and successful career in industry meeting the needs of National and Multinational companies in the field of Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
PEO 2: To develop the ability among students in solving engineering problems & motivate towards R&D in the areas of Power Systems and Power Electronics.
PEO 3: To demonstrate the Art of excellence in developing the effective communications skills of the students in English medium and improve their personality.
PEO 4: To promote awareness among students for lifelong learning and development with professional Ethics.
PSO 1: Apply fundamental knowledge to identify, formulate, design and investigate various problems of electrical and electronics circuits, power electronics and power systems.
PSO 2: Apply modern software tools for design, simulation and analysis of electrical systems to engage in lifelong learning and to successfully adopt in multi-disciplinary environments.
PSO 3: Solve ethically and professionally various electrical engineering problems in societal and environmental context and communicate effectively.
PSO 4: Apply project management techniques to complex engineering problems.
- Engineering Knowledge :Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis :Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions :Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems :Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage :Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society :Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability :Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics :Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work : Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication :Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance :Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning :Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- To improve the department overall result to 60 percent by executing RIP(Result Improvement Plan).
- To encourage innovative projects and apply for programmes with funds.
- To modernise Power Electronics laboratory.
- To increase the numbers of student participation in add on courses by agencies like MSME, NSIC and also to make the students well-versed in Matlab and PSPICE software.
- To make atleast 25 students to register for NPTEL course each semester to expand student’s knowledge per year in advanced subjects.
- To train and transform all 12 final year projects to attend paper presentation and motivate them to publish in international Journals.
- To achieve 85% placement in core companies and power plants.
- To achieve 85% University result in all subject.
- To achieve 90% placement in core and software company.
- To become globally recognized centre of excellence in various fields of Electrical engineering, Technology and Research.
- To undertake research and development works in emerging technologies by forging alliances with various research organizations and industries.
- Dr. M.K. Ilampoornan have published papers titled ”A Novel method for voltage sag compensation using AC chopper” JCPS Volume 9 Issue 4 (Annexure-II AU)
- Dr. M.K. Ilampoornan have published papers titled “, An Improved Voltage Compensation Technique for Long Sag Condition Using AC Chopper” International Conference on ICPCIT dated feb 2& 3 2018.
- Dr. M.K. Ilampoornan have published papers titled “Frequency Domain Benchmark for CIGRE Moisture Circuit Model of Power Transformer” International Conference on IEEE ,ICNTET.2018.
- A Product Patent on ‘Universal power bridge’ was filed by Dr. Ilampoornan.
- A Product Patent on “Air Pollution Monitoring System in Metropolitan Hospital using Wireless Sensor Network” was filed by Dr. Ilampoornan.